Become a highly skilled Gunner and make a big difference on the battlefield.
You control the Light Gun, a weapon that can go almost anywhere. You and your crew travel into action by land or by air, and support Infantry or other combat units – which means you’re crucial in battle. You’ll be trained to look after the gun and fire it, hitting targets up to 10 miles away. You can also learn new skills and take qualifications – even learn to drive an HGV. Your CV will take you far, inside or outside the Army. With sports, Adventure Training and great mates around you too, it's an exciting career.
You'll start with your initial military training which will teach you how to be a soldier - this will cover everything from fieldcraft to how to handle a rifle. If you join as a Junior Soldier (under 17 years 5 months), you’ll do a 40-week basic military training course at Harrogate. If you join as a Regular Soldier (over 17 years 1 month), you’ll do the regular 14-week adult basic training.
Then it’s off to Larkhill for 15 weeks to become a qualified Gunner and on to your chosen regiment and learn to fire and look after the Light Gun. To join 29 Commando Regiment Royal Artillery, you need to pass the All Arms Commando course at Lympstone. To join 7 Para Royal Horse Artillery you then need to pass ‘P’ Company selection at Catterick and the Basic Parachute Course at Brize Norton.
HGV truck licence
European Computer Driving Licence (ECDL)
Computer Literacy and Information Technology Stage 1 (CLAIT)
NVQ in Learning and Development
Institute of Leadership and Management (ILM)
SHOW PEOPLE WHAT YOU’RE CAPABLE OF
We'll be with you every step of the way as you move up the ranks. From the moment you begin your training you'll get all the support and encouragement you need to make a success of your career. Work hard and you'll soon get promoted, which means more responsibility and extra pay.
Become a Gunner and you’ll:
- Earn a starting salary of around £15,985 during Basic Training which will rise to £20,400 after completing 26 weeks’ training or after completing your Initial Trade Training, if less than 26 weeks
- Receive subsidised accommodation and facilities, increasing your disposable income
- Receive free medical and dental health cover
- Have the continuous access promotional opportunity and to continually progress your career
- Be sponsored to earn valuable civilian-recognised qualifications
- Take part in Adventurous Training and be able to play your favourite sports.
BELONG TO SOMETHING THAT MATTERS.
You should be:
· Regular Army age: 16.6 – 35.6 years
· Mid-Thigh Pull 50kg
· Medicine Ball Throw 2.7m
· 2km run 11m 30s
Our next deadline for application is 30th September 2022, with further opportunities ongoing throughout the year.
FIND WHERE YOU BELONG.